Wednesday, May 7, 2008

OF FARADAY'S LAWS AND PINEAPPLE PASTRIES....

Sometimes, its hard to talk about those things that you've just done together,things you've laughed at together,things you've debated together....
I could not believe my ears when i heard about Ajoba's demise.He had gone- SO suddenly?Had he really,really GONE?I had an organic chemistry exam the next morning and I was in a sorry state of affairs.I felt a lurch in my stomach and a lump in my throat, the gravity of the situation yet to sink in.
Cut to the present.
I now remember all those times Ajoba discussed Faraday's laws of electrolysis and Differential equations with me.His ability to not let go of a sum even if he didn't get it many times over amazed me.Also, he had a phenomenal memory-he would just state all the laws and rules of physics as he had learnt them by heart,ages ago.
Those,were his academic strengths.
As a person,Ajoba was a gem.I say that time and again because seldom have i found people who give so much space to their close ones,that ability to provide the freedom of "do-what-you-like-whatever" was unique.I was initiated to hard drinks, courtesy Ajoba, much to the disgust of Amma.Sharing a glass of beer along with a packet of chips with him was sheer fun...those times I will never forget.
Rewind to March 2007.
On every single day I had a board exam,Ajoba would drop me and come to receive me, without fail.He would inevitably be the first grandparent/parent standing next to the huge iron gates, with an eternal welcoming grin on his face.We would then go home,walking,discussing the question paper backwards.On reaching home,I was usually treated to a 'surprise'-a box of Pineapple pastries,specially brought from the most famous bakery in the neighbourhood.Pastries to enliven my spirit after a 3 hourboard exam, he would say!
Those were priceless moments-arguing about who the best 19th century novelist was,discussing people in the family in a jocular vein....little did I realise that those happy moments would never come again.
Those moments have become memories now.
At this juncture,I'm reminded of that poem by Longfellow-
"Lives of great men all remind us,
We can make our lives sublime
And departing, leave behind us,
Footprints in the sands of time..."
Sometimes,just sometimes, its hard to talk about things you've done together,things you've laughed at together,things you've debated together...

2 comments:

sekar said...

Yamini,
You have excellently encapsulated yet another facet of Bapa.His understanding of giving everyone human space and freedom to do what they liked, was indeed a very rare attribute,especially given his age.
Yes, he was equally at home with elders as well as youngsters.My colleagues from Calcutta were quite amazed at his ability to seamlessly bond with them during a party in my Management Trainee days.
It's great that you were initiated to light drinking with Bapa.Perhaps he was the only one around to give such invaluable education on such so-called social taboos.
By writing such insightful comments, you have done a big favour since many memories of Bapa have been kindled and are flooding my mind. I will write in detail about these some other time.Thanks for being the trigger!!!
Sekar

Raju Madhavan said...

Thoughts rush in and out.Like Yamini, even I remember when he came all the way across the city of Bangalore to be with me during my Class XII final Maths exam !.I was based at Vasu kaki's house.Bapa-Amma had the earlier day unloaded the truck from Durgapur at NR colony.
Bapa delegated that important job of managing the householdgoods to Sunder and travelled by bus to be with me @ DRDO!!
He loved to travel by bus to show us how economically he lived.His very last trip between Blore and Chennai was by bus....Prabha